Wednesday, May 9, 2007

First Days.. [ Part II ]

This is pure coincidence.

I received my result for the last semester today. This effectively disengages any remaining relationship I have with PSG Tech as a student. The graduation day will be just the completion of the formalities.
Four years have whirred past, faster than a racing schumi on a rainy day. This college has seen the metamorphosis of a very ordinary guy who knew little about his way ahead to someone who is equipped enough to lay the roads for the journey he has just started. I haven't left anything in my college for the people there to remember me forever. But I do carry with me a treasure that no one can dare to ask for a part... Beautiful memories.
Here is one of those.. the first of those - first day in 'my' college.

The sleepless night of the day before July 23rd had little effect on me. In less than a week I picked this course I was asked to come to college. I was excited like never before. I was entering the college with lot of expectations. Unfortunately I had no company. I don't know any one from PSG Tech and was finding myself alone.
I was there in the quadrangle by 8.45, in time for the initial speech. The principal and the hostel warden (Senthil Kumar who later came as our class tutor and took maths) were flooding us with their advices and rules of the college. I almost slept. ('Well begun is half done'. I continued to sleep for all the four years in the college. Senthil Kumar sir was special - the number of classes I remained awake will be lesser than the ones I slept)
We were offered refreshments after that. I preferred not to go and was on the look out for my new friends. Found a bunch of guys hanging around there in the quadrangle. Picked the guy who was sitting a little away from the rest. He was tall, wearing glasses and had his shirts tucked out (which clearly is not a sign of a new comer, i realized it very late).
I decided to get his acquaintance.
"Hi.. You are from which department?"
"... (a confused look and raised eyebrows) IT. You?"
"CSE.. Whats your name?"
"Riyaz*. Yours?"
"Vivek. Do you know anyone from CSE?"
"Yeah.. See the guy over there, he is from CSE." The guy he pointed was not interested and was doing something very seriously.
"Oh.. Ok (smile.. as usual) Hey whats your cut-off" (This question is mandatory while introducing yourself in the first year)
"285 four years back"
(now I am terribly confused) ".... (a big pause)"
"Hey are you a fresher..."
"Hmmm.. Yes.. Why? You too are a fresher na.."
"No da.. I am a final year student here da"
(Now everyone there breaks into laughter)
"Oh.. :( I am sorry anna"
"Ok Ok.. Why did you pick PSG da..? "
"(struggling to get my words together. I hope you can understand my situation. What a mess I have made! )"
He continued
"For placements.. "
"Hmmm.. yess na"
"Achacho!! You should have taken CIT or GCT da.. Companies are not at all coming here da. Only girls will get placed here.."
"Oh appadiyanna!!"
"Here only I have managed a job as yet.. These guys are yet to get one.." (other guys nodded)
"(Go ahead go ahead.. Rat is caught in the trap here.. Go ahead.. x( ) Oh..."
"Thappu pannitye da"
"(those who know me should have seen my face when I try to please the staffs) Oh.."
....
This went on and on for a while before they left me.
In the meantime I happened to come across Karthik(eyan), the first guy I met from CSE and learnt that he is from Bharathiar University. 'Thats a consolation I will not be the only one coming to college from that far.' He took me to Kishon his school mate. Well.. Here are my new friends in college. We had our lunch in canteen. We were told that a meeting for CSE department will be held in N-block. Hanged around for the rest of the day with them. Karthik took me to the N-block later for the meeting. Met all the guys and gals of CSE with whom I would be spending the next four years . Got introduced to the ones who sat near me in the hall.
### and ###### gave their lectures (which we heard again and again for several times in these four years). And we were split into two classes. 'Oh my god! Karthik was in G2 and me in G1'. Well thats how it goes, but I got new friends soon. After that we were asked to stand in a queue. They were preparing us for a campus tour. 'I have seen enough. I shall leave now.' I left. My bunking spree in college started on the very first day. The guy who came with me then, is as good as me in this art - Pranesh :).
The next day the classes began, I was late as usual. My first class was by Praveena mam. The day wasn't great and I soon found myself sleeping when Sankar Kumar was spelling out 'bottle' a few hundred times. I continued sleeping all the four years.
Thats how almost all my days went... But i too had my share of days to remember, days to forget and days that I wish I live again. When I stepped out of my college for the last time, the void I felt, the unknown thing that I missed, well.. I still have them somewhere in my heart. But the memories and the experiences I carry with me will keep me going.. in the roads that no one else has trudged before, in the roads that I have just started laying.

Meet you all in the next post
Bye.. :)

*Riyaz - I am not very sure about his name. But it was something like this.
### - Censored for my safety :)

No comments:

Post a Comment